This keto cream of mushroom soup is a must try! Without the gluten-laden thickeners, mystery ingredients, or additives of canned soups you can enjoy this delicious comforting classic. This is a recipe review of the recipe from Maria Emmerich over at Maria Mind Body Health. I highly recommend her blog for anyone following a ketogenic diet. It’s one of my personal favorites, and I particularly love how she includes tons of information about why and how her recipes are good for your health. You learn a little bit more about health and nutrition with every post. Her cooking and approach to health really inspire us over here!
I modified this keto soup recipe very slightly, but it still turned out amazing! Seriously, every bit as good, if not better than your favorite restaurant mushroom soup. It has a very rich mushroom flavor with the perfect amount of creaminess and tang from the lemon and cream cheese. This recipe could be made in larger batches and eaten throughout the week. I actually brought this to work for lunch and shared with my coworkers, who really enjoyed it. You could garnish with a little chopped bacon or chives, and serve with a big green salad. You could experiment with different types of mushrooms too. I used white mushrooms, but a gourmet blend would be awesome!
Nutritional information: 155 calories per serving, 13g fat, 5.9g carbohydrates, 1.3g fiber, 6.4g protein
Ketogenic Cream of Mushroom Soup
A creamy and delicious low carb mushroom soup that is simple to make
- 2 packages white mushrooms 8-ounce packages
- 1 tablespoon butter or ghee
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 head roasted garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 5 ounces cream cheese
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 pinch salt and pepper to taste
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup minced onion
- Step 1 Coarsely chop mushrooms
- Step 2 Mix mushrooms with lemon juice and set aside
- Step 3 Sauté garlic and onion in butter until onion is translucent
- Step 4 Add mushrooms, thyme, bay leaf and sauté over medium heat for 10 minutes
- Step 5 Add broth, salt, and pepper
- Step 6 Reduce heat and simmer for approximately 20 minutes
- Step 7 Add cream cheese, mix well and simmer an additional 10 minutes stirring continuously to incorporate cream cheese
- Step 8 Serve hot and garnish with finely chopped parsley or chives
- Step 9 Viola! Keto soup!